Wednesday, March 26, 2014

St. Louis Thrift Finds: Learn About Parsimonia's Pursuit to Showcase STL's Handmade Artisans on ALIVE Magazine

karlie baker alive magazine blog

Warning: this "Thrift Finds" post comes with a generous heap of self promotion (and self reflection)!

I recently started contributing to ALIVE Magazine's new blogs--specifically, Style Notes, which keeps St. Louis fashionistas in-the-know about local designers, stores and events. My first post highlights Parsimonia store owner Beth Styles' collaborations with local handmade artists. I love Parsimonia--both the store and Holly, the traveling trailer--because she has armfuls of funky, mid-century dresses that I scour many a thrift store and rummage sale for. Most vintage stores charge a decidedly un-thrifty price for such treasures, but not Parsimonia. She's also really active in setting up local vintage events. But here's the even cooler part: each month Styles selects a different St. Louis artisan to showcase in-store. Learn about March's artist, Julie Schell, and April artist Ruby Francis on ALIVE:

Parsimonia Celebrates Local With Monthly Designer Collaborations

I was a journalism major with a magazine concentration in college, so having my byline appear--even on a magazine's blog--feels like a major accomplishment. I love magazines. Love them (italics, repetition and fragment use necessary). They're visual, and positive in tone, and in an ideal world you close the issue with a new curiosity in learning about or doing something. They're the reason I considered journalism in the first place. Teen Vogue debuted during my freshman year of high school, and it became a staple purchase each month. Many of their early issues featured spreads of "normal girls" dressed for school and going out, which I think catalyzed my need to establish a personal style. It was around the time I was allowed to start venturing to the nearby Salvation Army Fridays after school, and my thrift addiction grew as I experimented with new styling. To this day, I keep a pile of Teen Vogue's squirreled away for inspiration. I've never seen fashion magazines as a 'bible' for my personal style, but a collection of suggestions on how evolve and to make the most of how I wear my clothes.

I ultimately chose a reporting/editing position with a community news publication when it came to full-time employment after graduation, but my heart always yearned to contribute to a magazine... particularly to write about local business and/or fashion. I started "Bringing Up Bust Form" after finding out I was being laid off from that job because I realized I had put all of my creative energy into that one endeavor. I've always been a writer--a journaler, a storyteller, a reporter--but I craved more creative fulfillment. The creation of the blog was meant to remedy that, to finally say, "Screw it," and write about style on my own terms. But I also set a goal to pursue some freelance work. I've been a loyal reader of ALIVE since I moved to the area, and I couldn't be more jazzed to start my foray into magazines with them.

So, huzzah!, I've checked an item off my professional bucket list. I hope you'll give it a peep, and I'll definitely share any more posts that appeal to my fellow thrifters and vintage-lovers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...