Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Getting Dressed for Work In 5 Minutes: Paper Planes

paper airplanes sweater Forever 21

retro jewelry paper plane sweater
Sweater: Forever 21
White button-down: H&M
Skirt: Old Navy
Necklaces: thrifted


Today's post comes with a bit of trivia: I didn't learn how to make a paper airplane until I was 17 years old. Whatever elements of their construction didn't click in my brain from ages 5 to 16 finally did in high school chemistry class. A few of the boys taught me how to construct them. Windows lined the back of the classroom, and we would ever so discreetly launch them into the courtyard below when our teacher's back was turned. I loved watching them skid and flip on tiny air currents. I became slightly addicted.

This went on for three or four days until we were caught. Let me rephrase: I was caught. The punishment wasn't so bad--I was sent out of class to retrieve the 50 or so planes that littered the grass. Since I got to miss 15 minutes of chemistry class, I considered it a win-win-win.

Ever since, paper airplanes have occupied a nostalgic spot in my heart.

This sweater was one of my first Forever 21 purchases as a 'civilian' again. I had just moved out to the Chicago suburbs and made a trip into the city to visit my old stomping grounds, and see what my old co-workers were up to. I was down in the basement talking to my friend Leah, absentmindedly looking at the clothes (State Street store's clearance section was always a little lacking). The sweater was crammed on a bottom bar. Why wear a sweater with short sleeves?, I thought. But I couldn't set it down.

"It's so ugly it's kind of beautiful," I said.

Leah laughed. "We said when we got it that it was you."

Sometimes, I think that's the theme of my closet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...