Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Once Upon a Bust Form: Best Friends Styling

Aly and Karlie.  Friendship established 2006 (photo circa 2007)
Once upon a time, I babysat a dress form. My best friend, Aly, and I spent a few too many hours co-styling looks.

Aly and I learned very quickly when we first became friends that we made great shopping partners. It helps that we have similar aesthetic tastes, and it also helps that we're two different sizes (so we never fought over pieces at thrift stores and rummage sales).

While we like a lot of the same clothes at first glance (and own a few of the same pieces), our closets are very different. Mine is full of patterns and feminine details--puffy sleeves, frills, floral embroidery. Aly gravitates toward neutral colors and earthier jewelry.

With this look, Aly challenged me to make the most of the neutrals I own. But of course, most of the neutrals I own are prints. I really dig how the stripes and paisley pair.

I named my style board on Pinterest "You call it old lady, I call it hip librarian" in response to my mom's jibes that I dress like a crazy old lady. I like to think I throw in a young, funky touch! If this outfit doesn't encapsulate 'hip librarian,' I don't know what does.

bustg


bustg2

The toughest piece in this ensemble to pull off is the white tank top. I fell in love with it one day when I was working at Forever 21 and had to have it. I thought the zipper lent the Victorian frills a bit of an Industrial Age air. But it really looks better with jeans than a skirt.

Striped blouse: thrifted
Skirt: thrifted (Salvation Army)
Tank top: Forever 21 (old)
Fox necklace: purchased at Renegade Craft Fair in Chicago

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...