Monday, January 13, 2014

My All-Time Favorite St. Louis Value Village Purchases

Did you miss me wax nostalgic last week about the closing of the Shrewsbury Value Village here in St. Louis? (Seriously--I have no clue where to score great secondhand clothes now.) But rather than mourn what no longer is, I've decided to celebrate all of the great things the thrift store has gifted upon me over the past year. 

Tops and Dresses
If you haven't noticed by now, I love florals. The red tank, a mega-bargain at $.99, has gotten at least 30 wearings since its purchase this summer. The green floral shift dress was purchased at my final trip to the store over the weekend, and will have a long life being paired with my many cardigan sweaters. 
Two of these favorites are slightly out of my comfort zone: a maroon t-shirt (because I so seldom buy solids), and a leopard print dress (while I love patterns, I tend to stay away from animals. This has disproved my skepticism for its versatility.). They're examples of items I wouldn't normally buy out at the mall, but gave a chance because the monetary loss was worth the risk.

Skirts (short)

2013 was the year of the circle skirt for Karlie (as evidenced by the latter four skirts here). I won't digress much about why I love them, except to say they work equally well for work or night-out outfits. The two pencil skirts (far left) have been great additions to my work wardrobe. The geometric patterned skirt even helped get me hired at my new job!

The navy blue one on the far right is my favorite because it adds a bit of flounce to your step. Whenever I wear it, I think, 'This must be how Zooey Deschanel feels in those Cotton commercials.'

Skirts (long)

I'm not the biggest fan of maxi dresses, because I'm sort of short and squatty as it is, but I have been enjoying the array of maxi-length skirts I've found. Many of them aren't pictured because they're a variation of the polka dot skirt pictured above--long, loose cotton with an elastic waist and sewn-in pockets. Lo and behold, they're perfect for lazy trips to the grocery store (added bonus: on cold days, you can conceal a pair of leggings underneath without added bulk).

The shorter two, however, are identical to skirts I'd seen in stores (the striped one spotted in Anthropologie, for example) and didn't have the heart to spend the money on. Neither is too 'showy' on its own, and both are great for mixing with other patterns.

Et cetera.

My favorite non-clothing purchase was a bed sheet, which I am currently using as bedroom curtains. 

The search for curtains for my newest apartment really exposed how cheap I can be about certain purchases. I spent a couple months seeking them out. I didn't want to spend more than $20 per panel (because that sounds like a lot!), and didn't have much luck finding patterns I liked on that apparently skimpy curtain budget. So for my first two (or three-ish) months here, I simply went without. Then I spotted this bedsheet. It was $.99! 

But wouldn't you know--not only am I so in love with the pattern that I still find myself zoning out at it on a regular basis, but the sheet happened to be the perfect length for my bedroom. I call that fate.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...