Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Rock n' Roll Ain't Noise Pollution, Or, My Favorite "Story Behind the Shirt"




AC/DC shirt: thrifted, Strange Cargo in Chicago, Ill.
Skirt: thrifted, Value Village
Cardigan: Forever 21
Necklace: thrifted
Bracelet: gift
Booties: Urbanog

I put together this outfit to show off a new skirt I found at Value Village last week, but the piece that pops out most to me is the AC/DC shirt. It's been a beloved wardrobe staple for the last seven years, and it's the item in my closet with the best 'story behind the buy.'

The opportunity to buy the shirt came serendipitously as I was checking out at Strange Cargo in Chicago. This tiny blonde swooped through the door in a pile of fury and dumped out a brown grocery bag full of shirts onto the countertop. I tried not to stare. I tried to make smalltalk with my own cashier, but you couldn't help but overhearing every few words. "parking lot handie... four other girls... vacation in Jamaica..."

At that point, I was attentively staring at the girl and the pile of shirts. They were some pretty choice concert shirts--a few from AC/DC, Journey, Bon Jovi. Some, I'm sure, my mom owned in high school.

"I'm getting rid of him, but first, I'm getting rid of his musty dumb t-shirts," she said.

The cashier explained they weren't a resale shop.

"You don't want 'em? That's fine," the girl said. "I'll give them to homeless people! Yeah! That'll really fuck with his head, seeing his favorite shirts on homeless people!"

"I'd actually like to buy one of those," I said.

Seven seconds later, I had plucked this AC/DC baseball T from the mass, and handed her $30. She definitely looked like she could use some wine.

Whoever you are, cheating guy whose shirts got sold off, thank you. At least one of them is being put to great use.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...