Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Once Upon a Bust: Awkward Layering

bustd

Once upon a time, I babysat a dress form, and it was much more daring than I.

The black top is an empire waist from Forever 21 that I purchased the summer before my senior year of high school. (That was eight years ago.) This shirt gets a lot of wear because it has cute lace detailing under the bust and the neckline is flattering.

The one thing that's always bothered me: because of the neckline, this seems to me like a prime layering shirt. Collars belong underneath it! But the empire waist makes dressing tricky. With jeans, it's passable. With skirts, it looks dowdy. Shorts... I really haven't had the heart to try. The undershirt has to be fitted, and ideally, I like it to peek past the hem of the black shirt. It's hard to put together an outfit that meets all of these criteria.

I don't think I'd ever wear this one myself, but the colors on the skirt provided a lot of opportunities for mixing and matching with other tops

Black blouse: Forever 21 (old)
Blue blouse: thrifted, Unique Thrift Store
Skirt: thrifted, Unique Thrift Store
Necklace: belongs to a friend

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...