Saturday, April 26, 2014

St. Louis Thrift Finds: Obnoxious Vests, Or, How My Thrifting Style Has Evolved

Savers chair vest St. Louis
Vest: Savers in Crestwood, MO

I don't frequent Savers--I'm a much bigger fan of its cheaper, dirtier sibling, Value Village--but decided to take a gander last week. My favorite find was this chair vest. Have you ever seen anything like it?

Pieces like this remind me that my style has evolved, even when it doesn't feel so. I don't want to say my standards were low back in high school and college, but they were liberal. I have a long history of hoarding obnoxious, striking prints (especially if they were under $3). If it made me laugh, or I thought it would be fun to wear, I'd usually buy it. (Case in point: this tulip shirt.)

Lately I spot items while out thrifting that make me think, "I would have snatched that up in [high school/college]!" then laugh at its obnoxious details and go about my way. Vests have always been a weakness, and I've owned some doozies. This vest reminded me of that struggle--it was tough to pass on. I definitely would have bought this if I'd spotted it five years ago. Would I have worn it? Maybe once or twice (probably even with this black cocktail blouse). But it felt good to walk away, knowing "my" aesthetic better these days, and holding out for a much better-suited floral blouse two rows away. That's one of the best things about thrifting: there's always the promise of something great out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...